Torres : Thank-you Liverpool



Jimmy Rice 30 June 2008

Fernando Torres has issued a heartfelt 'thank-you' to LFC and its followers for helping him become a European champion.

El Nino scored the winning goal as Spain won their first trophy since 1964 on Sunday – an achievement he insists would not have been possible without the support of the Red half of Merseyside during the last year.

He said: "It is a dream come true and now we have a place in European history, so it is very special.

"It is my first major title but I hope it will be the first of many because I want to win many more titles with Liverpool and Spain.

"I would like to thank the staff and players at Liverpool for their support during Euro 2008 because it makes a real difference when you know you have the backing of the people of your club. Because of this they share in our success.

"I have had a wonderful first season at Anfield and the goals I scored for Liverpool gave me the confidence and belief I needed for the Euros. Again, I would like to thank Rafa and his staff because I have improved as a player thanks to them.

"But it isn't just the people at the club who have helped me, it is also the supporters and the people of the city.

"From the moment I first came to Liverpool I have been made to feel welcome and that is why I am able to enjoy my football so much.

"It is incredible because the Liverpool fans have given me so much support and I know that they have even been supporting Spain. This is something I will never forget and I thank everyone for that.

"Now I am looking forward to competing for trophies with the Reds because I know that means so much to the club and the fans."

Torres - along with countrymen Alvaro Arbeloa, Xabi Alonso and Pepe Reina - will now be given three weeks' rest before returning to Melwood for pre-season training.

Eighteen members of Rafa Benitez's squad returned today, with more set to follow over the next week.

No comments: